Monday, September 17, 2007

Post # 2

While meandering through the sites that Mr. Gentile sent me to, I found a bunch of helpful sources that will help me throughout my professional career as a Guidance Counselor. When I clicked on Counseling and Guidance, I found information on how to deal with all sorts of occurrences at schools. It was particularly interesting when I found information on how to help kids cope with issues such as bomb threats, and other serious issues that create fear in children. To me, school should be the safest place outside of a home for a kid to be. As a guidance counselor, I have the power to make that happen. I also read about peer mediation, which I think is an awesome tool for all schools to use, that way children with problems have a place to talk and get help without feeling like they are the only ones with problems. I learned a great deal from this website because every time I clicked on a link, I was jumping into a plethora of more information. That's exciting.

Since my last posting, I learned many new things about technology. I learned how to create and design a pamphlet. That will be especially useful in my career and I plan to place a really nice and creative one in my portfolio for an impressive interview. I think it will be useful to my career because teachers are super busy people already, yet they would like to have information from the school at their fingertips. Writing informational pamphlets for teachers, students, and their parents would be a way to keep the communication flowing without work overload for the teachers. Guidance Counselors are awesome people who help students with real life, and that's a big deal to some students who really don't have anyone to turn to.

One piece of assisting technology that I read about was the reading pen. Made for students with dyslexia, I find that it can be helpful to students who are better listeners than readers, or students that read too fast. Simple in form, this device can help many and that's what's unique about it. For kids with even more complicated disabilities, the Intellikeys System was one that I usually saw around schools and I think that since it's common, then it must work well.

No comments: